How To Create Feminized Cannabis Seeds (STS & Colloidal Silver)
Welcome everyone to this new manual from our blog on How to Create Feminized Cannabis Seeds! After seeing the importance of learning about the Hop Latent Viroid in Cannabis Cultivation (HLVD), buckle up for this new guide from Annibale Seedshop!
Introduction to the creation of Feminized Cannabis seeds
Feminized cannabis seeds are a form of cannabis seeds that guarantee a higher probability of obtaining female plants.
These seeds have become extremely popular with cannabis growers, offering significant advantages over regular seeds.
This article provides an in-depth description about feminized cannabis seeds, their history, the benefits of using them over regular seeds, and a practical guide on how to create feminized cannabis seeds using the STS (Silver Thiosulfate Solution) method and the silver method. colloidal.
History of Feminized Cannabis Seeds
Feminized cannabis seeds were first developed in the 1990s by Dutch growers. These growers have been trying to find a way to get female plants more efficiently by eliminating the need to manually select male plants.
Through years of research and experimentation, methods have been developed to reliably produce feminized cannabis seeds.
Benefits of Feminized Cannabis Seeds
Feminized cannabis seeds offer several advantages over regular seeds. Here are some of the most significant benefits:
- Female Plant Guarantee: Feminized cannabis seeds offer a very high percentage of female plants, eliminating the need to identify and remove male plants that may be producing unwanted pollen.
- Saves Time and Energy: With feminized cannabis seeds, growers save time and energy as they don’t have to devote resources to separating male and female plants.
- Yield Maximization: Since female plants are the ones that produce the cannabinoid-rich cannabis flowers, the use of feminized cannabis seeds maximizes the yield of high-quality products.
- Greater Genetic Control: By using feminized cannabis seeds, growers have greater control over the genetic characteristics of the plants, allowing them to select specific strains and achieve the desired results in terms of aroma, potency and yield.
Guide to Creating Feminized Cannabis Seeds:
There are two main methods for creating feminized cannabis seeds: the STS (Silver Thiosulfate Solution) method and the colloidal silver method. Below is a general guide on how to use both methods:
STS method (Silver Thiosulfate Solution):
Prepare a diluted silver thiosulphate (STS) solution by choosing high quality ingredients and using the following recipe:
- Wear gloves and an ffp2 face mask while you compose the solution in a ventilated environment.
- The STS solution is based on two steps. At the end of the process, part A is mixed with part B.
- Use distilled water to reduce the possibility of unintentionally creating impurities in the solution.
- Part A; half a gram of silver nitrate diluted in 500 ml of distilled water (0.1g of silver nitrate for every 100ml H2O).
- Part B; 2.5 grams of thiosulfate solution (anhydrous) diluted in 500 ml of distilled water (0.5g of sodium thiosulfate every 100ml H2O) – 4 g of thiosulfate pentahydrate every 500ml of distilled water (0.8g every 100ml H2O).
- Silver nitrate dissolves in water before sodium thioslofate, which usually takes 30-45 seconds. Once the operation has been performed, quickly add solution A to solution B. The solution obtained will then be diluted in 1:9 parts (we recommend 1:6,) to make the compound usable.
For example, adding 100 ml of solution to 900 ml of distilled water (600ml is recommended) you will obtain an excellent solution which can then be sprayed on the selected female plant. The STS solution should be stored in the dark and cool, such as in the refrigerator.
- Spray the STS solution on vegetative mother plants for several weeks (start spraying the STS solution in the last weeks of vegetative / first weeks of flowering).
- After treating mother plants with STS, collect pollen from female plants with developing male flowers.
- Use the pollen obtained to pollinate the selected female plants, making sure to separate the treated plants from the rest of the crop.
- Pollinated female plants will produce seeds that will give rise to female plants in the next generation.
Colloidal Silver Method:
- Prepare or purchase a high quality colloidal silver solution.
- Apply the colloidal silver solution to selected female plants for several weeks during the end of the vegetative phase, continuing into flowering.
- Continue to apply the colloidal silver solution with the help of a spray bottle (even better the nebulizer) until the female plants develop male characteristics, such as the classic pollen sacs.
- Collect pollen from treated female plants and use it to pollinate other selected female plants.
The seeds produced will be feminized and will give rise to female plants in the next generation.
Feminized cannabis seeds have revolutionized the cannabis growing industry, offering growers the guarantee of female plants and a number of significant benefits. Using methods such as the STS method and the colloidal silver method, it is possible to reliably create feminised cannabis seeds.
However, it is important to note that creating feminized cannabis seeds requires expertise and attention to detail. Make sure you are familiar with the processes involved and follow best practices for best results.
And this manual on How to correctly create feminized cannabis seeds comes to an end, hoping to have been of help to you, see you in the next article!
Greetings from the Annibale Seedshop Team!
Davide V, CEO, Founder & Geneticist